Are you interested in archiving and local history?
Theatre Peckham has a fantastic opportunity for two participants, who are local to Peckham, to receive expert training in collating oral histories and archiving Theatre Peckham’s histories in the lead up to our 40th Anniversary.
More about the Project:
Ahead of our 40th Anniversary in 2026, Theatre Peckham is looking to collect archival material and oral histories that will result in creative responses curated by a local artist and our Young Producers. Nearly 40 years since Theatre Peckham began, we want to collate, reflect on and celebrate how the community has changed and shaped the local culture focusing on its relationship to place, objects and its people.
As a Heritage Champion:
- You will receive training by archival specialists Alan Crookham and Victoria Lane, exploring what archives are, how to use and find them, and exploring digital archival resources. You will learn how to archive materials gathered from past shows, events and workshops including programmes, flyers, newspaper articles, reviews and photos and store this effectively to be passed on to the Southwark Borough Archives. The materials will also be used to create an engaging website page that shares Theatre Peckham’s journey to a wider audience.
- You will also collate oral histories from our culturally diverse community and alumni. Together with Theatre Peckham’s Young Ambassadors and our team, you will engage 30 people across three focus group sessions and a further 200 people through informal post-activity interviews through Vox Pop videos and written stories.
- You will work together with our Young Ambassadors, Young Producers and a selected artist in order to plan events, performances and creative responses to the research gathered throughout the process.
Deadline – Monday 4th February 2024
Interviews – 12th February 2024
Once selected the two Heritage Champions must be available between 3.30-5pm on the following dates for the archival training sessions:
and Focus Groups
Following this, between May to October you will be a part of the planning and execution of the following events:
- Community Day curated by Young Ambassadors & Heritage Champions
- Local Artist’s Foyer Installation Launch
- Event curated by Young Producers as Part of Young, Gifted & Black in October 2024
How to Apply:
In order to apply please send a cover letter of no longer than 500 words explaining why you would be the perfect heritage champion to email@example.com by the 4th February at 12pm. Please also fill out our equal opportunities form.
Shortlisted candidates will then be invited for an interview on the 12th February.